Kingdoms of Antiquity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kingdoms of Antiquity

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ezria

Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire  Empty
PostSubject: Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire    Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 5:11 pm

To say that the Survaek Empire and the Ezrian's had a complex relationship would be putting it mildly. With the near fragmentation and breakup of the Survaek's confederation after the defeat of Ezria's enemy Raethon, the Emperor's had once again faced a mass nomadic invasion of fleeing tribes that would settle upon Raethon's former lands and then expand towards an already fragile Ezrian frontier. Emperor Theodosius had made the decision to shore up King Raegar's claim to power with money, weapons, and Ezrian mercenaries to bring the rebelling tribesmen to heel. But with the destruction of Raegar's enemies, the Ezrian's had in turn united the Survaekom with their meddling and now had a potential rival on their border. But that again had changed with another barbarian incursion, whatever links between the two countries that had been forged had been disrupted by an invasion of the Surud tribesman. While trade links via ocean routes remained loosely, the shared border between the two countries had been cut off. But it was the anticipation that it would be restored that Basil had sent Lord Antikas as his representative to Raegar's court, with his armies moving to reconquer lost Ezrian territory.

The Survaekom were now an established Kingdom, with interests. The barbarians threatened those interests, it was on this foundation that Ezria hoped to establish a future alliance against the enemies of the civilized peoples and prevent a mass expansion of barbarian power against an already fragile nation.

Antiakas waited upon an audience with the King himself, a selection of hand picked bodyguard's and servants accompanying him on his journey. Antiakas himself was an older man, well versed in the arts of Ezrian double dealing politics and treating with barbarian chieftain's. He only hoped that Raegar would remember Ezria's role in ensuring his grip on his country.
Back to top Go down
AspenIvan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire    Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 6:07 pm

Antiakas and his party were forced to take a winding journey of over a month as reports of Raegar's location failed to bring them to him in time. It was unclear whether Survaek runners could not reached the king in time either, or the king was truly too pressed to make a stop, or whether he was deliberately ignoring or holding off the Ezrians. When they finally caught up with the monarch, they had traveled practically to the Eastern edge of Survaek and back, finding Raegar's royal tent at a forward camp set to watch the Grand Empire's Northwestern border. Almost ubiquitously throughout the massive camp flew Survaek's flag, a central golden sun shooting widening rays to the edges of a maroon backdrop, by now surely a sight devoid of novelty for the travel-weary Ezrians.

After a wait of a paltry few hours, nothing compared to the near two months already suffered, Antiakas heard the announcement from a Khaitis knight standing guard at the edge of the royal tent: "The Survaekom will see you now!" The title, a mash-up of an already mashed-up term to the effect of "Embodiment of the Union of the Many Peoples," set this monarch apart from any before him in the region. It was a title almost divine, and certainly more than human, and Antiakas soon saw that the monarch had a build to match it.

Survaekom Raegar looked as if he had been made precisely to fight, to conquer, and to rule. The king was huge, standing almost a foot taller than any one of the impressive knights that formed his entourage, and his robust build looked almost more like a bear than a man. His grooming was somewhere between that of the barbarians and that of the "civilized," a full beard of jet black shaved neatly and evenly to cover his face without drooping from it. He wore a mantle, cape, headdress, and robe of bear hide and fur, further adding to his beastly image, over which he wore a scalemail cuirass and a crown of tall golden spikes fused with a steel helm. Completing the imposing tower of a king was his pair of disturbingly bright amber eyes, giving the impression that an unquenchable fire lay behind them.

"Ezrians," he declared, his mouth forming into a smile. "I speak before you can bow, because I shall not allow you to bow before me. I am Survaekom: my sovereignty is absolute but bounded. You have your own sovereign, one whom no man or woman of Survaek shall bow before, but against whom any sign of submission by you to another is an unforgivable crime.

"Now, I have spent the last months, as most of my life, attending to Survaek's enemies. It is good, now, to be attending to Survaek's friends. Tell me, what tidings do you bring from the great Empire of the West?"

Last edited by AspenIvan on Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ezria

PostSubject: Re: Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire    Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 6:39 pm

Antiakas hadn't ridden so hard since his campaigning days as a youth. By the time he had reached the restless King that he had hunted ruthlessly throughout the entire Kingdom, Antiakas was saddle sore, tired, and aggravated for a man of his advancing years. The rough living for the past month had allowed his graying beard to grow bushy, his fingers and toes had calloused that had long gone soft from too many years of holding a quill instead of a blade, and his impressive purple sash designating him as the Emperor's representative with it's double headed eagle insignia was dirtied by the soot and dust of the road.

It was well that the King had commanded Antiakas not bow, for he didn't think his broken back could take the strain of bending. Instead, he inclined his head in a mere measure of respect to the man's status. He did his best not to bristle at the man's tone, even though Antiakas would grudgingly admit.. the King was a rather impressive figure.

'' I bring word and good tidings from the Basileus of the West, the Autokrator of the Ezria, the Despot of Lygos, and Defender of the Faith. '' Antiakas declared, in his most impressive voice (which wasn't very impressive due to dehydration and the dust on the Survaekom plains). '' My sovereign wishes to re-establish both trade and deal with the threat of the barbarians on both of our borders. The tribesmen will not be content until all of civilization has been crushed under their heel! My liege would ask for the great Survaekom's cooperation in bringing them under control. Even now our armies muster for a campaign, but we cannot predict the moves of the other neighboring tribes. United these barbarians could pose a threat that has not been known for centuries. '' Antiakas warned. '' My liege would request that you send troops to the borders of the Kantach and make their chief realize the combined powers that our mighty nations can bring to bear. ''
Back to top Go down
AspenIvan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire    Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 5:55 pm

"Autokrator Basileus is clearly a wise and noble friend of Survaek," noted Survaekom Raegar, returning Antiakas' respectful nod. "Re-establishing trade will surely add to the prosperity and glory of our peoples. The second request, though, has already been fulfilled by my army's presence here. The Kantach and Surud are dangerous neighbors, and no prompting is necessary to convince me to keep my guard against them.

"However, an Ezrian invasion of Surud could pose problems. Raethon was a settled kingdom whose submission was guaranteed by its immobility. Surud will be different: Like the tribes of the Reed River who fled into Ezrian land and caused havoc when I was forced to preserve Survaek by force, the Surud will flee into Survaek lands. Yet, in this case, your hand is not forced as mine was. Your empire is whole and united, unlike Survaek eleven years ago. Why should Survaek suffer the chronic brunt of Ezria's conquest and reap less than Ezria?" Though the question could have sounded accusatory, the monstrous monarch's tone remained friendly, albeit somewhat patronizing.

"Ezria is wise to eliminate the Surud, but must recognize that it is asking much of Survaek. If the Autokrator is serious about his tidings of friendship and good will, as I am certain that a sovereign of his character and wisdom is, then he must be willing to act jointly where joint interests are a concern. With the might of both Survaek and Ezria combined, we can surely bring both the Surud and the Kantach to heel in one feel swoop. If the Basileus the Autokrator will assure me the Survaekom exclusive rights to the territory of Surud, which was the former territory of conquered Raethon after all, I will assure him the commitment of my forces to the conquest of Kantach, and exclusive rights to all Kantach territory excepting the small Southern region contiguous with Survaek's existing borders." The Survaekom's gaze widened and intensified as his smile split into a grin.
Back to top Go down
Ezria

PostSubject: Re: Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire    Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 6:19 pm

'' Your Grace! '' Antikas protested, his tongue growing hot. '' The Autokrator has already invested considerable coin for the retaking of Ezrian land and has previously established territorial claims upon it. '' He countered. The Ezrian's had long since been in this corner of the continent before the peoples of Raethon had come storming across the plains like so many barbarians before them.

'' But...'' A conspiratorial note entered the man's voice. '' The Murdok are likely to go to war with us to defend the Kantach as well. The Survaekom's aid in conquering them, along with forcing the Kantach to submit and perhaps the Emperor would be willing to overlook the Empire's traditional claims in the area. ''
Back to top Go down
AspenIvan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire    Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 10:59 pm

"If Ezria will allow that we prioritize eliminating the Surud and Kantach threats, then we will be willing to aid you against the Murdok," Raegar replied, his grin settling into a slight smile. "Also, if Survaek is to make these additional efforts for the additional territorial expansion of Ezria, Survaek must share in additional benefits. Yet, I have no interest in and no feasible means of securing for my domain territory so far removed as that of Murdok. Therefore, Survaek must be allowed exclusive rights of conquest to the town of Kurach and its vicinity, in addition to all Kantach lands South of it and all of Surud." The Survaekom paused, allowing his smile and eyes to widen again. "Do we have an agreement?"
Back to top Go down
Ezria

PostSubject: Re: Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire    Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 11:12 pm

Now the Great King was beginning to overstep itself, and it showed in the ambassador's posture. The grimace that had been churning around the old man's mouth turned into a full on scowl. The Great Survaekom had reached the end of his clout.

'' The Empire of Ezria has been more than generous in it's offer of terms. But I trust when it comes time for action that it will not just be promises that the Survaek offer but men with swords. We agree. ''
Back to top Go down
AspenIvan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire    Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 11:24 pm

"Excellent," the Survaekom replied, ignoring Antiakas' snide remark for the moment. By now, his scribe, the various figures in the background of his tent were in a flurry of activity. A scribe had just finished drawing up the document to be signed, and two Khaitis knights placed the clay tablet on a small table and carried it to the Survaekom, who pressed the seal on his ring into the soft surface. The pair of knights then rotated the table so the document faced the Ezrians.

"And, Antiakas if Ezria, servant of the Autokrator, rest assured that your people will see Survaek's swords and bows and spears on the battlefield. I have not risen from Khaitis King to Survaekom by making empty promises."
Back to top Go down
Ezria

PostSubject: Re: Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire    Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 7:38 pm

The Ezrian's had reluctantly signed the Treaty (a treaty that Antikas thought unfair) but it was well known that the Empire could not afford a three front war between the Kurach, Surud, and Murdok tribes. It would've taxed the Empire's waning resources to breaking, thus the Ezrian's had agreed and would allow the Survaek to deal with garrisoning a province of unruly barbarians (as long as the trade routes were kept protected). But, it was the promise of breaking the stranglehold of the barbarians in the north that brought the Ezrian's to the table. Better to have an enemy you know on your border, rather than a grouping of wildly and unpredictable barbarians, where alliances and war's could break out over incidents that were incomprehensible to the civilized peoples of Ezrian society.

Antiakas had been named ambassador to the King's court, but it wasn't the terms of the treaty that had brought him seeking an audience with the King's Vizer (in light of the King being on campaign in Surud) for an audience. The Autokrator was concerned over the rumors of marriage being floated in his court. The marriage of a royal princess to a barbarian!

'' The Autokrator would like to make his objections in no uncertain known to His Majesty over this marriage ceremony. '' Antiakas said after the customary pleasantries had been exchanged and his audience granted. '' Your beautiful Princess, a woman of a noble and royal lineage should not be promised to some barbarian! A filthy man of the steppes! Emperor Basil believes that this marriage sets a poor precedent for all civilized peoples of the world and will give the barbarians a voice when it comes time to decide the great Survaek's succession. He begs the wise and noble leaders of the Kingdom to reconsider. '' A succession that the Ezrian's didn't want to see filled by some half breed barbarian-survaek hybrid! But if one could read past the lines, it was well known that Emperor Basil had a young son of marriageable age. A union between both Royal Houses so recently allied could allow a rare opportunity to create the strong foundations for an alliance that could last for generations.
Back to top Go down
AspenIvan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire    Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Ambassador Antiakas met not the infamously half-hearted Grand Vizier, but Crown Princess Atalae Khaitis. In the style of mixed Foedinei and Khaitis royal heritage, she wore several layers of colorful patterned robes, dominated by dark green and crimson, and a shawl that covered upper body and head and whose patterns were continuous with the robes below. Embroidery of silver and gold added glint and sparkle to her clothing without overwhelming it. More stark than Atalae's attire, however, was her face, whose large white smile and piercing blue eyes stood out against her round face of dark tan.

"Greetings, good Antiakas," she announced with a smile as she entered the newly-constructed embassy, an outgrowth of the Palace still under construction. The princess was known for her generosity, which often manifested itself in an uncanny ability to give her full and unbroken attention to countless individuals even while under pressure, as was the case now. As she listened to the Ezrian's declarations of righteous anger, her friendly and caring expression never broke. She silently and attentively allowed the ambassador every word he felt prompted to speak, and herself spoke only when certain that he was finished.

"Good Antiakas, I am saddened that you see so bleakly an event of such joy. An educated man of high standing such as yourself surely knows that the origins of Survaek are multiform, drawing as much from nomadic Khaitis and Haerk as from urban Foedinei and Rjjin? Surely you can distinguish every one tribe, every one clan from another to see that which has value, and that which has none? The Byrnian Princess, according to the traditions of her ancestors, has seen fit to travel the North, and has lived among many peoples before coming to accept the arrangement she now enters. Do you question her wisdom and experience? Further, do you question that of Survaekom Raegar, who united all of Survaek, most of which many would have called "barbarian" before the unification, and made of it a glorious Grand Empire?"

The Princess' smile, which still had not faded a bit, grew into a conciliatory grin. "Friend of Survaek, rejoice with us, I urge you. The coming marriage can only do us good, ensuring security to the North and stability for all. For that matter, you need not worry of complications over the royal line. Girghe Yuki is to be adopted into the Khaitis family, and even then, the royal couple will be heir to the Byrnian throne, not that of Survaek. What have you to lose, but perhaps some pride over a distinction that blurs upon close inspection? What you have to gain is a step towards freedom from threats that have plagued you for generations."
Back to top Go down
Ezria

PostSubject: Re: Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire    Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 9:26 pm

It was a small sigh of relief that was given when he was not shown to an audience with the Grand Vizier. He knew the man would've just blown him off so the lazy sod could return to his collection of teas and art, or whatever the lazy wretch did for entertainment! But what Antikas was not expecting was an audience with the Princess herself, he listened to the standard line of propaganda, of the multi-cultural, and multi ethnic empire that was all inclusive. But Antiakas didn't particularly care for that, the old fox had another thing in mind entirely. He had been tasked with making a match between the Royal House's. If one Princess was taken, then why not the heir to the Survaek throne herself? An Ezrian grandchild of a combined empire. The power that could be commanded from such a match was nothing to be made light of.

'' I apologize for my..lack of distinction. There was no intention to insult. '' Antiakas said with a bow of his apology of his head, before he clapped his old hands together. '' But my Emperor is keen on arranging a long term alliance between both our House's. The Emperor's son is unmarried and has recently been pro-claimed co-emperor alongside his father. Emperor Basil is looking for a grandson, and an heir to carry his name and legacy into the next era. '' A pause followed as two servants came bustling into the chamber, a portrait of Prince Constantine born before them as they held it up for the Princesses inspection. The Prince was clearly a young man with hard blue eyes like his father and a thick mop of black hair, infact he was only a boy of sixteen (despite the artists attempts to make him look older). Naturally, every perceived flaw had been carefully left out of the painting (including a rather much larger nose that was depicted).

'' The Emperor would offer his son's hand in marriage for your own. '' It was an offer that would bind the Empires, and their heirs together, allowing them to dominate the continent between the two. A momentous decision would have to be taken by the Survaekom.
Back to top Go down
AspenIvan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire    Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 3:39 pm

Several moments after the ambassador had finished speaking, Atalae was still silent, deep in thought. Though many of her family, including Survaekom Raegar himself, had mulled over the possibility of joining with the powerful and friendly Ezrian Empire's family line, she had hardly expected the offer to come now from an Ezrian ambassador, let alone seeking to marry the established royal heir of each kingdom.

"You make a momentous offer," she noted, her eyes returning to meet Antiakas'. "Needless to say, this will require some thought, as well as consultation with the rest of the Khaitis family, including those currently on campaign. However, I can tell you with certainty that the Khaitis family sees this offer and the friendship it conveys with nothing but favor and gratitude. I would be a fool and a malefactor not to express my openness to such an engagement." She paused for a short moment, her eyes turning to look over the portrait once more. "Could we, perhaps, arrange for a meeting between me and the handsome Prince Constantine?"
Back to top Go down
Ezria

PostSubject: Re: Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire    Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 3:48 pm

'' This is understandable. '' Antikas replied as he made mental calculations as to her reactions. If she wanted to meet with the Prince, then that meant she was seriously at least giving the offer thought. '' Meeting may prove difficult my lady. Constaintine has been declared regent in his fathers absence while he campaigns against the mutual barbarian threat. Leaving to travel here would present problems as much as a joy it would be to see a beauty such as yourself. But perhaps something could be..arranged..a place mutually close. Perhaps on the Ezrian coast near Mysta, Your Majesty could easily book passage on one of her powerful naval vessels and be back quickly to continue to administer matters of state. Unless you have another suggestion my lady? ''
Back to top Go down
AspenIvan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire    Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 7:28 pm

"Unfortunately, the Grand Empire's navy is in a state of disrepair," admitted the Crown Princess with a brief fade in her smile. "Passage by sea would be precarious at best, unless we are to trust the Jonten not to capture me for a ransom.

"However, there are other options." Her tone and expression rebounded to their usual soft joviality. "We could await victory over Surud, allowing safe passage by land as well as relieving the Prince of his duties." She did not consider the possibility of a battlefield defeat. "Or, to meet sooner, I could book travel aboard the powerful vessel of Karim Ibn Rasul, who is currently acting as representative of the Khani Emirate to the Grand Survaek Empire, and is but a short walk from this very room. The possibility of such an arrangement, though, will depend on Karim."
Back to top Go down
Ezria

PostSubject: Re: Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire    Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 12:09 am

'' Indeed and I would not trust transit through Surud without an army guarding your Royal Person. '' The ambassador said plunging deep into thought. The ambassador was also loath to admit that the Imperial Ezria Navy was nothing but a collection of river galleys, the sea going vessels had long since been abandoned, with the bulk of the manpower needs given to the Army to fight off the rampant barbarian threat.

'' Then perhaps indeed it would be wise to see council with the Amira's representative. If the Emirate is looking to establish trading relations with the Ezrian Empire, then this could kill two barbarians with one stone so to speak. '' Antiakas said with a toothy grin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire    Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ezrian Empire- Grand Survaek Empire
Page 1 of 1